Our team at West-Central Forage Association (WCFA) is looking to fill the role of Agriculture Research Coordinator to support our team. You will be responsible for designing and carrying out applied and adaptive research across the west- central region of Alberta (approximately 10,000 acres); focusing on new agricultural technology and production practices.
We’re looking for a self-starter who can manage their time effectively as this role requires drive and a sense of accountability. Although you will be joining a small team we provide support for producers across seven local municipalities and collaborate with other organizations and applied research associations across the province.
If you are an ambitious and forward-thinking individual, who wants to make an impact in the agricultural world at the ground level, consider applying.
What you’ll be doing
Working at WCFA is a diverse environment and always changing, with this role some of the main responsibilities include:
- Managing projects: taking the lead in the planning, development, preparation, implementation and reporting of research trials, demonstrations and projects. As well as brainstorming new ideas that are relevant to our region and meaningful to its producers.
- Leadership: taking leadership of research projects and providing mentorship of field staff, summer students and/or interns.
- Implementation of projects: manage the process of plot and project setup, equipment calibrations, monitoring, maintenance, site selection, sampling, and harvesting
- Data cleaning and summary analysis: analysis and reporting of data collected from research trials and other projects. And being able to take that information and being able to translate it into different mediums such as presentations to producers, magazine articles, newsletters, annual reports, etc.
- Building relationships: help support and build relationships with our region’s producers, industry, companies, and other associations as well as increase awareness and public profile of WCFA.
- Documentation: Help build, maintain as well as implement project documentation and manuals and material
What we look for
We look for the right people at all levels of their careers. Here are some of the things that will make you stand out:
- Ideally, have some form of post-secondary education in Agriculture, Environmental or a related field.
- You have a strong understanding and experience with experimental design and statistical analysis with the ability to apply this knowledge to our projects.
- You are a wizard with technology and programs such as Microsoft Office suite, including Excel;
- You are able to provide leadership and effectively lead teams on and off the field.
- Displays strong organizational ability, and excellent verbal, written, presentation, facilitation, and interpersonal communications skills
- You genuinely enjoy problem-solving and are able to focus on the details but are still able to keep in mind the big picture.
- You are a good communicator with the ability to communicate verbally as well as written to take ownership/accountability;
- You are motivated to be out in the field and are comfortable operating small equipment (tractor, mowers, truck/trailer, and other equipment); and
- You are able to put in long hours during the field season and take advantage of a flexible work schedule during the off-season.
- You are intrigued by a career in consulting and data analysis. You believe that being constantly pushed out of your comfort zone is a thrilling opportunity.
Hours & Compensation
• Permanent - Full time – salary (range of $60,000-80,000 – depending on education and/or experience)
• Fully covered health benefits and disability insurance
• Professional development and mentorship opportunities
• Dynamic team atmosphere
• Flexible work schedule
Please provide 2 or more professional references. Driver abstract will be required prior to hiring
How to Apply
Please send your resume to Becky Doherty through email@example.com, along with a cover letter explaining why you believe you are a good fit for this position. We appreciate your interest, but please note that we will only be contacting successful applicants.